What's the stupidest thing you've ever cried about? For me, it's blinds. No...not like blind people...like blinds on a window. Stupid right? Before you judge, let me paint you a picture so that you fully understand the heartbreak that is installing blinds...
I'm currently in the process of moving into a new house. This new house is a little old so it needs a bit of renovating. The curtains that came in my room were super gross and super old so I took them down. I was left with a bare window with no covering whatsoever. My roommate installed blinds on one of our doors that has a window and said it was super quick and easy, so I figured I could do it on my own. I took a quick measurement of my window...65 1/2", then I was ready for my blinds adventure.
I happily and proudly headed over to my neighborhood Wal Mart to buy some blinds. I walked up and down the row trying to decide what type of blinds I wanted to buy. There were too many options and I quickly became overwhelmed (not unusual for me.) I couldn't decide which kind was best for my window so I just started looking at lengths. 62", 64", 72"...nothing. It quickly became glaringly obvious that I must have measured my window wrong because it wasn't any of these generic sizes. I then started thinking about HOW I would install these blinds on my window. My window has a metal perimeter, so I wasn't sure if I could even install blinds on the inside lip. I began thinking about how I could install blinds just above the window. Is that normal? Do blinds ever go above windows? Will it look bad? Will I be able to hang my curtain rod above it? My brain and emotions were spiraling out of control. I didn't know my correct measurements. I didn't know which blinds to buy. I didn't know how to install blinds. I didn't know where to install them. All the visions I had of installing blinds on my own (like a boss)...were crushed.
Feeling defeated and overwhelmed, I began to wander around Wal Mart. Here is how my thoughts progressed....
I can just have Austin help me.
What would I do if I didn't have a boyfriend to help me?
I don't want to rely on a boyfriend.
I could call my Dad.
But I don't want a boy's help.
I want to do this on my own...but I can't.
I am never going to be able to install blinds or anything else for that matter.
Now I HAVE to get married and have a man around the house to install things.
I can never be independent and live on my own and install my own blinds.
I'm pathetic.
I don't even want blinds anymore.
I'm going to go buy eyeliner and washcloths because those are the only things I understand because I'm a stupid woman who can't do anything on her own.
I fought back tears during the rest of my Wal Mart trip. I paid for my girly items that require no thought or installation, and sullenly walked back to my car. As soon as I got into my car, the tears started flowing. I felt totally useless and dependent and defeated. I eventually stopped crying and pulled myself together, but I can't say that it didn't partially ruin my day.
Crying over blinds. Stupid? Yes. But were my feelings legitimate? Yes.
And no....I still don't have blinds.
No comments:
Post a Comment